This veggie packed pasta provides loads of energy, so serve the night before a big sporting event!
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, mashed or minced
1 small red onion, chopped
1 10 oz. package of frozen spinach, thawed, and squeezed to remove water
1 jar chunky tomato sauce
2 cups low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 16 oz. container of part-skim ricotta cheese
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 package whole wheat ziti
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
For the sauce
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil on a large skillet over medium heat, until it begins to sizzle. Add the garlic, sauté until it begins to brown very slightly.
- Next, add the onion and turn the heat to low. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently with a spatula, until onions become soft and transparent.
- Next, add the thawed spinach to the mixture. Cover the skillet and cook until warmed throughout (about 5 minutes).
- When spinach is warmed through, pour the jar of tomato sauce into the skillet, stirring frequently for 10 minutes until the sauce is thoroughly mixed and heated.
For the pasta
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the pasta al dente style, according to the instructions on the box.
- Drain and set aside.
Putting it all together
- Add the pasta to the cheese mixture in the large bowl, and stir until the pasta is coated in the cheese mixture.
- Next, spray a rectangular baking dish (13x9x2 inches) with non-stick cooking spray and put one layer of the pasta and cheese mixture on the bottom.
- Add a layer of tomato sauce over the pasta and continue this pattern (ending with the tomato sauce on top).
- Place the pan in the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then serve with a green salad!