Thanksgiving is just around the corner! Do you eat sweet potatoes, a November Foods of the Month, during your Thanksgiving feast? Try these veggies in November and December, when they are in season. Sweet potatoes are tasty just by themselves, as this simple recipe proves. Try this healthier version of mashed sweet potatoes, full of antioxidants like vitamin A!
4 small to medium sweet potatoes
3/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes. Cut them into slices that are 3/4 inch thick.
- Put them in a saucepan with enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Bring the water to a boil on medium heat.
- Boil the potatoes for 20 to 25 minutes until they’re soft.
- Drain the water. Put the potatoes in a medium bowl.
- Use a fork or potato masher to mash the potatoes.
- Mix in the thyme, salt, and pepper and serve immediately.
(Alternatively, for a sweeter version, you can roast whole potatoes in their skins at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes, until a fork pierces the skin easily; cool slightly, peel, and then place in the bowl for mashing.)